Sunday, February 23, 2014

Going To The Birds on Inishmore


I have realized that I am a 'Closeted Bird Watcher.'  Not so closeted now...two bird books later and I am a REAL bird watcher.
All birds are beautiful to me.  I could definitely work for National Geographic...as I can sit for hours waiting for the perfect shot.

My wee bff  the Robin...now following me on the island of Inishmore.  Look at his little mouth, he is still singing.


I believe these are Pale-bellied Brent Goose.  These fellas migrate from Arctic Canada arriving in October and leaving in April and can be found in Ireland and western Scotland.


This wee bit came out of the ivy that was covering a home....scared us.  It is a Woodpigeon.  Often seen as a pest, I thought it quite pretty.


I am having troubles distinguishing what bird this is?  I have found similar looking birds in my bird book, that are called Leach's Petrel or Storm Petrel.  They are quite a hardy bird, living most of their lives out at sea, heading inland during severe gales.  It says that they are rarely seen on land, except to return to their breeding ground at night to avoid predators.  Awesome for us.


Ok...I love this little guy and he keeps popping into my photos....I told you that he loves me.  I'm not kidding.  This is actually him still singing to me in a wee bit of a drizzle in the quiet pastures in Inishmore.


Camera shy Oystercatchers.  Not very clear from this photo, but their eyes are red berry coloured.  Really kind of creepy.....yikes.



No comments:

Post a Comment