Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Northern Ireland City of Derry or is it LondonDerry?


Well...we have been in Derry, Northern Ireland for almost six days.  Tomorrow we leave and I am just now posting blogs about this historic city.  It is quite interesting when I think about why I haven't posted anything yet....To be honest, Northern Ireland has made me sad.  That may sound ungrateful but it is not meant to be.  Truth is the history of the violent conflicts, for centuries, between the Irish Catholics and the English Protestants is incredible complicated and an issue I am sure will never be settled.  What they have decided to do, is draw a line in the sand, and strive for a Peace between them.  

Happy note!!!  I finally found a great knitting store in Derry and purchased authentic wool from this area, and I will decide later what to make with it.  Debbie caught me coming out of the store with a mitt full.  Well maybe 8 balls I purchased?  Gorgeous stuff.


We found this phrase on the wall of a cafe near the knitting shop.  I like it.

"Happiness is life served up with a scoop of acceptance, a topping of tolerance and sprinkles of hope."


Statue of Liberty above a restaurant on the main street of Derry.  The restaurant is called 'Cheers.'


The Tower Museum Derry.  The old town walls with the modern addition.


Walking the 'walls' around the original LondonDerry town.  Exquisite moss.


St. Augustine's Chapel is believed to be the sight of the original monastery that was founded here in the 6th century by St. Columb.  He picked the area as it was on a hilly crest covered with oak trees which is where Derry got it's name.  'Doire, the grove of the oaks.'  The oak leaf is very symbolic in Derry to this day.
St. Augustine Chapel graveyard happens to have a Mr. James McQuillen buried there.  On the tombstone it is spelled with an 'e' and on the Register it is spelled with an 'a'?  I am going to say he is family.


Our niece Deb Duncan (Dale's wife) suggested that we try the 'Spotted Dick' dessert while in the UK.  Great suggestion....tasted somewhat like a very moist Christmas cake without all the candied fruits.  Good stuff.


A little tidbit...a sign in the town reads....
"The lady in white.  Ghosts walk the streets not only at Hallowe'en.  An 18th century lady dressed in white has occasionally been reported walking down from the graveyard of St. Augustine's Chapel, crossing a wooden bridge over Magazine Street and disappearing into Bridge House."
Really?  I am not thrilled with ghost stories.



A sign in a cafe....an Irish Blessing.


Ireland's scones....very good.  Being a connoisseur now I think I am qualified to judge.  But don't tell...I still like the scones in London, England the best so far.  Shhhhhh.


The Guildhall right down at the Foyle River edge.  It is one of Derry's most recognized landmarks.  Built in the year 1887 it has been destroyed twice.  Once by fire in 1908 and bombed in 1972.  It has a beautiful statue of Queen Victoria in the entrance way that is missing both hands.  She survived the bombing with only that small injury.
We enjoyed a nice breakfast in the cafe located in the back of this gorgeous building.  As well, we were treated to a personal tour of the upstairs by my new BFF Colin who works there.  He was so knowledgeable and such great fun to chat with.  The opportunity to have our picture taken with the Deputy Mayor, Mr. Gary Middleton was attributed to Colin.


Fun milk pitchers in Derry.....I think my Meme had one of these.



No comments:

Post a Comment