Monday, April 7, 2014

Whale Watching in Reykjavik

A big ocean out here.....


What's that???


Hey...how about that???


Oh my gosh...so close to the boat....yikes!!


Way...way...way too close!!!



Our ship is ready and we are heading out for an afternoon of Whale Watching.  I have never in my life seen a whale in its natural habitat.  I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope for a whale sighting!!!


A few new Icelandic bird for us...a Common Eider.  Unfortunately for this fellow, the down of his feathers are used in Iceland for stuffing of quilts and pillows.  They are farmed for that.  These guys must have escaped.


And his partner.  I'm sure she broke him out!


Little Deb already cold and we haven't left the port.  It was much more frigid than we thought.  Oops.


We were out for quite a while, almost an hour before we started to spot marine life.  I managed to run to the front of the ship and was able to get a lot of photos, not all great, of our mammal friends.


We were told that there were a few signs that a whale was near.  One was where there were a lot of birds feeding on the water, there would possibly be a whale near by.  They feed together in harmony.
Two, watch for the spouting of water.


Watching....watching....beautiful scenery....watching....


A spout of a humpback whale!!!
Way too much excitement for me.


My goal was to get the much sought after tail shot.  He is a big boy under this ship.  Yikes.


Deb couldn't run to the front because of a wee bit of climbing and it was so cold out front.  Better to stay above.


Another tail shot of my wee mammal friend.  Thank you.


And yet another tail photo....deep diving this time.  It is going to be a while before we see him again.


Fun in Iceland.  Stay close and keep warm.  It is not really Spring here.


My favourite shot of all.
Amazing experience of a lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment